Thursday, August 11, 2005

Doorways - Megan Warren

Apologies for my apparent tardiness – you see I have been here all along – I stopped at the Shambala Retreat http://www.shambalaretreat.com/retreat.html to gather myself after the long flight and prepare for the enchanting journey ahead.

I hiked across from the retreat to the grotto. As I approached I found a doorway obscured by vines. As I was already late, I thought this might be a shortcut. I pulled the vines away to get a better look at the door. It was a weather worn, heavy oak door. I tried to open the door, but it was locked fast.

Carved into the door, I noticed was the Gaelic saying Caed Mile Failte (a hundred thousand welcomes) my people have been here before me. Some welcome – a locked door. I turned to walk away from the door, there must be another entrance to the grotto, I thought. There was a chorus of loud caws as a number of ravens flew overhead – four, I think I counted. One seemed to be carrying something gold in its beak. It dropped the gold object, which landed at my feet. It was an ornate gold key. Perhaps this was the entry after all.

I put the key into the lock and turned it. The door that was moments ago locked fast appeared now to be in good repair and working order and the hinges recently greased. The door unlocked, I pushed it open and stood on the threshold. Before me was my future, behind me the past. I only had to cross the threshold to access my future and the Grotto.

What appeared before me was a labyrinth of stone tunnels inside the mountain. It was dark, lit only by the light of the open door and smelled musky. I have to tell you that I was more than a little apprehensive. I recognised this feeling as fear.

I turned back to contemplate my past, a past that has combined many opposing forces: happiness and sadness, life and death, success and failure, grief and depression. Ahead of me was the future, all I had to do was accept the challenge and face my fear. I turned back as I heard a shuffling sound, coming toward me was a person dressed in hooded robes, carrying a lantern. This mysterious person stopped before me and spoke in mellow tones - “Welcome Megan, I have come to show you to your lodgings.” She turned and walked down the tunnel holding the lantern out to guide our way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home