Thursday, August 11, 2005

On the other side - Gail Kavanagh

The corridor is oddly shaped; the walls slope in to a roof narrower than the floor. Pools of soft yellow light fall at intervals along the length of the corridor. That comforts me. I thought a cave would be dark and damp, and I don't flourish out of the light. I've taken off my shoes and stuffed them in the huge pocket of my Mad Old Lady Artist jacket. A coat of many colors, I found it at the Chinatown market in Brisbane. How far away that day of cherry blossom and dancing dogs seems now. I'm still hesitating on the threshold when I hear someone approaching.
It's a young girl in a long loose blue robe and sandaled feet. She seems familiar - perhaps she reminds me of one of my daughters. On one arm, a sliver snake winds from wrist to elbow.``Welcome," she says. ``I've been waiting for you."I follow her down the light dappled corridor, catching glimpses of flowers, fountains and flocks of brightly coloured birds.The girl tells me her name is Ilona. I know it means light - I have two daughters named for light, Lucia and Elena, and the feeling that I know this young woman is strengthened. The corridor widens out into a light filled vestibule. There are stairs and corridors leading off in all directions, but Ilona guides me down a corridor to the left, which ends in a beautiful room carved out of the honey coloured rock. At the far end of the room, glass doors open out onto a terrace like the ones I glimpsed before, with massed flowers, a small fountain set into the wall, a flock of birds feeding from a stone bowl. There are other rooms leading off the main one - through one door I glimpse blue marble tiles.There are no shelves in the room, but niches carved into the walls holding books, lamps and bowls of flowers. One niche holds a smiling Kwan Yin and a few sticks of incense. The floor is piled with richly embroidered rugs and cushions and on a low table there is a bowl of fruit, a loaf of bread and some crumbly yellow cheese. Incongruously, there is also a box of chocolates.``These rooms are yours while you remain with us," Ilona said. ``I will not be far away, if you need anything just call me."She glides away on her sandaled feet, and I put down my bag and go out through the glass doors onto the terrace. I breath in the richly scented air.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home